My two friends, Frank and Nicola, finally got married at the weekend. It was without a doubt one of the best weekends ever. I expect the hangover following the weekend to be equally epic. Well done guys!!!! Sadly I’ve no pictures of the weekend trip to Roundstone as my camera was mysteriously smashed (there’s no mystery really – there’s a 100% chance it was me acting the billy goat).
Frank and Nic walk down the aisle as man and wife (FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I can only presume this is the pre-nup they’re signing.
Me and the beautiful bride
All the lads
Last week twenty two of us jetted off to Livigno in northern Italy for a ski/board holiday. It was awesome. I had great fun. Boarding all day and eating/boozing/acting the goat all night. I/We’ve got tons of photos and videos @ http://halfviking.com/livigno08 . Below are a select few to whet your appetite.
Self portrait on the slopes
Me and Al
Me and Danish dancer
I get some air on dance pole
The gang in marcos
Mountain feast mayhem
Me and Daragh (the cripple)
Roxy postit craziness
My snowboard instructor
Flat on my face
Finally – standing up straight
Up on the slopes
Dinner on the last night
The gang on the slopes
How’s the grappa Ken?
Flat on my face yet again – and that was just trying to get off the lift
The lads on the chair lift
On my ass taking photos
Myself and Dave
Dropping a few shapes
Killed by Brian on the pole
As you can see – it was awesome, so thank you all for your company this year – bring on 2009
The photos and videos @ http://halfviking.com/livigno08 have been censored due to extreme cringe factor on my part. If there’s anything you want removed – let me know.
Yet again – a new year has crept up on us. The christmas and New Year period was tough on the auld liver but a lot of fun was had especially the 28th in Leopardstown for Frank’s birthday and the afters of that day which will go down in history with the tags “hilarious”,”drunk” and “lol”.
I took a ton of photos on New Years eve which are all up now (http://halfviking.com/newyear07-08/). There’s some embarassing videos on there too.
Last year I had a list of resultions – How did I do??
- Finish the new design of this site – as you can see, it’s still a work in progress – Done
- Comment my code – Well, this is really an ongoing exercise but I am alot better than I used to be
- Finish projects I have started – same as above
- Document my code properly – same again
- Use UML – even if it’s just in my head – I do this alot now
- Move to Ubuntu on my home machine – Dual boot
- Caption all my photos – all 8500 of them – No chance
- Read all the books I bought – I had quite a few but I did read an awful lot of them
- Read non-techy books too – many many novels read this year
- Cook more – I cook for myself now so I cook every day
- Eat less – Done dropping a whopping 1 stone 7 pounds so far
- Eat healthier – Done
- Find some way of feeling healthier that I can actually stick to (Gym is a bit too much commitment) – Gym, football and back playing GAA far exceeded this goal
- Start to budget my outgoings properly – Due to circumstances I’ve only been able to this in the last month but it’s goiong well so far
- Stop calling my dog “the rodent” – Bobby has a new family so goal achieved 🙁
- Learn that Friday does not have to equal “getpissedday” – yes it does
- Stop watching soap operas – comedy series like King of Queens and Scrubs will remain on my Sky+ planner though – I watch very little TV these days
- Contribute to an open source project – Not time this year I’m afraid
- Help fellow developers more – Ammado is a very open dev team so help flows freely
- Always keep in mind that I know only a fraction of what I think I know – Definitely true
- Be in a good mood – I try
- Write another useful Firefox extension that uses a custom XPCOM component – No
- Use Patterns in code more – Done
- Stop driving like an idiot just so I can get home quicker – Not done
- Go to Ireland to see my friends and family more – I live here now so Done
- Go to the summer house in Norway – Done
- Save money – Done
- Keep this blog up to date – Kind of Done
- Move to IMAP instead of POP email – Done
- Backup more – Done
- Learn how to use SVN properly – Done and I also use TFS
- Go to LinuxWorld in London (as long as it’s not on Gill’s birthday like last year) – It was postponed but I did have it planned
- Get a whiteboard at home – Done but in my mum’s shed at the moment
Not too bad really considering. I’ve yet to create this years list but I can assure you it will be shorter 🙂
Last weekend I went to Cork for the Guiness Jazz festival. I’m not really into Jazz at all but I had been told that it is a good weekend regardless. I went down on Saturday afternoon by train – (first time in first class which I reckon is well worth it). Saturday night was spent in a non-Jazz pub with Live music which was class.
Sunday day was spent boozing in a pub in Douglas, live music from 1pm. Then back to Hotel for a very very nice meal, some Jazz and then out to meet friends.
Monday I was hungover.
Not too much Jazz but the atmosphere in Cork for the weekend was great. I’d recommend it and if I’m here next year – I’ll go again.
Myself and the Prague team went Karting last night and then out for dinner and drinks. It was a great night – So far, Prague is awesome and the I’m afraid to say that the rumours are true – the ladies here are strikingly hot.
Me and the Prague team (minus Filip who was ill). From left to right: Me, Yauhen (Eugene), Viktoria (Vika) and Frank.
Myself, Tommy Danger (real name Conor), The
Shake (real name Brian), Scottish Kev (real name Kev), Dooley (real name Colm) and my brother flew over to Edinburgh for the New Zealand v Scotland game (part of the rugby world cup). It was bloody mayhem. We ran amok. I had not been on a rugby weekend before and I highly recommend it, everybody and I mean everybody is up for a laugh. We were playing rugby in the pubs and in the streets. Singing and dancing with all nationalities. I’ve not laughed or had that much fun in a very long time. Come on Scotland!!!!
There’s a video too – Tommy Danger entertains Ryans.
As you can see – we had alot of fun 😉
http://halfviking.com/norwayjuly2007/ I’ve uploaded 267 images and a few videos of my recent trip to Norway. Some of them are pretty good but but for the most it’s just photos to jog my memory of when I was there.
I’ve been in Norway for the last ten days so expect tons of photos over on halfviking.com over the next week.
What in the name of all things XML have I been up to. Well as y’all have probably gathered, I’ve been relatively offline, what with my new job. Trying to get settled in Ireland, trying to sell my house in Wales and generally trying to get my shit together.
I’ve been going to the gym alot and playing football twice a week (when we get the players) resulting in a loss of just short of a stone. I’ve had a super quick trip back to Wales (booked at 12 o’clock while still in bed – waiting at gate at 2 o’clock) and back at 8 o’clock the next evening. I’ve started the process of importing my car. I went to the Oxegen music festival which was awesome and muddy and awesomely muddy. I’ve also booked my holidays, I’ll be spening 10 days at the family’s summer house on an island in the Helgeland area of middle/north Norway.
I checked the other day and was shocked to see that I have been in Ireland (with all my posessions) for three months and three days. My house has been up for sale for nearly four months and I’ve been in my new job for nearly two months. Time seemed to drag during that time but looking back – it’s just flown.
Onwards and upwards folks – onwards and upwards.
Congrats to my brother who passed (with merits) his Carpentry exams and only has a year left and he’ll be earning more than me.
The clown reference in the title is from the fact that our house is now referred to the “Clown College” where myself Ronan and Colm live.