Silly season has well and truly begun now. It’s the frist time I’ve been back in dublin for the whole christmas in about 5 or 6 years. Fun will be had – and lots of it.
I treated myself this year and bought myself an eeepc. It looks pretty sweet so I can’t wait to put it through it’s paces this festive season.
Also my house is now sold and the new tenants have moved in. I hope they enjoy the house as much as I did. I’m now officially off the property ladder and unless Dublin property prices take a silly nosedive – I’ll be going nowhere near an estate agent. No more money pit for me
This weekend I turned a whopping 28. A great weekend of celebrations was had. Cheers to all who came out and witnessed the debauchery that was Saturday night.
As most of you already know – Alan and Jean (long term mates and former housemates from sydney) got engaged last week in Goa… good man Al. They had an engagemant party last saturday. As part of my month off the booze, I had planned on not drinking but with peer pressure (I’m 27 guys, peer pressure should be a thing of the past) and champagne thrust into my hand – I lost my resolve after about 10 minutes. A great night was had by all although my “eyes closed roundy roundy” dance did make me knock over a load of beer. Well done guys – may you have a happy happy future together
What in the name of all things XML have I been up to. Well as y’all have probably gathered, I’ve been relatively offline, what with my new job. Trying to get settled in Ireland, trying to sell my house in Wales and generally trying to get my shit together.
I’ve been going to the gym alot and playing football twice a week (when we get the players) resulting in a loss of just short of a stone. I’ve had a super quick trip back to Wales (booked at 12 o’clock while still in bed – waiting at gate at 2 o’clock) and back at 8 o’clock the next evening. I’ve started the process of importing my car. I went to the Oxegen music festival which was awesome and muddy and awesomely muddy. I’ve also booked my holidays, I’ll be spening 10 days at the family’s summer house on an island in the Helgeland area of middle/north Norway.
I checked the other day and was shocked to see that I have been in Ireland (with all my posessions) for three months and three days. My house has been up for sale for nearly four months and I’ve been in my new job for nearly two months. Time seemed to drag during that time but looking back – it’s just flown.
Onwards and upwards folks – onwards and upwards.
Congrats to my brother who passed (with merits) his Carpentry exams and only has a year left and he’ll be earning more than me.
The clown reference in the title is from the fact that our house is now referred to the “Clown College” where myself Ronan and Colm live.
I arrived home to Dooley telling me about the New Zealand v Scotland match in the world cup in rugby which was on in Edinburgh in September. 30 minutes later myself, Dooley, my brother and Conor had tickets, flights and accomadation booked.
Now that’s what I call decisiveness. It’s sounding like it’ll be an awesome weekend. It’s a long time to wait though.
As it’s new year and my motivation is at an all time low, I think a list of TODOs (or new years resultions) is needed. Some of those listed are techy and some are not but all of them are aimed at improving my life.
- Finish the new design of this site – as you can see, it’s still a work in progress
- Comment my code
- Finish projects I have started
- Document my code properly
- Use UML – even if it’s just in my head
- Move to Ubuntu on my home machine
- Caption all my photos – all 8500 of them
- Read all the books I bought
- Read non-techy books too
- Cook more
- Eat less
- Eat healthier
- Find some way of feeling healthier that I can actually stick to (Gym is a bit too much commitment)
- Start to budget my outgoings properly
- Stop calling my dog “the rodent”
- Learn that Friday does not have to equal “getpissedday”
- Stop watching soap operas – comedy series like King of Queens and Scrubs will remain on my Sky+ planner though
- Contribute to an open source project
- Help fellow developers more
- Always keep in mind that I know only a fraction of what I think I know
- Be in a good mood
- Write another useful Firefox extension that uses a custom XPCOM component
- Use Patterns in code more
- Stop driving like an idiot just so I can get home quicker
- Go to Ireland to see my friends and family more
- Go to the summer house in Norway
- Save money
- And finally – keep this blog up to date
There’s quite a few there so I think it’s more of a two year plan. I have been working on an eight year plan with Gill too, but it’s still a bit up in the air but very exciting – as along as all goes well -
I will also (I thought of some more)
- Move to IMAP instead of POP email
- Backup more
- Learn how to use SVN properly
- Go to LinuxWorld in London (as long as it’s not on Gill’s birthday like last year)
- Get a whiteboard at home
- ……..I’ll add some more as I think of them
Dooley, Tara and Enda arrived over 2 weekends ago to see if I was still alive. We had a great weekend, consisting of eating, drinking, golfing, dancing and drinking. Cheers for coming over guys.
I’m off for a week in Spain to play “The Hoff”, get pissed and pinkify my belly.